Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Early Arrival?

We saw the doctor today. Since I have been having so many contractions and they have been coming regularly at times, he did a test to check for a chemical called fetal fibronectin (fFN). From my understanding, it's a chemical found in the "glue" that holds the baby's sac to the wall of the uterus. If the chemical shows up in the test, then it means that the "glue" is beginning to break down early, and I have a significant risk of delivering Alyssa in the next 1-2 weeks. That wouldn't be good news this early. I would have to have some sort of treatment, such as stopping work, bedrest, medication to stop the contractions, and/or steroids to mature Alyssa's lungs. None of those things makes an ideal situation right now, so we're certainly praying for a negative test! The good news is that is the test is negative, then the risk of delivering soon is VERY low, and all I have to do is stay off my feet as much as possible. He said that I might be having and feeling more contractions just because Alyssa is so big.

As for the issue of Alyssa's size, I'm still measuring ahead of schedule, but I'm actually measuring two weeks smaller than I was at my last appointment (34 weeks) since Alyssa is dropping. It's still something they want to watch, so I will have an ultrasound in two weeks at my next appointment (assuming the fFN test is negative). The doctor said if she is still looking big, he will be more likely to induce me a bit early or, if my cervix isn't cooperating, to do a scheduled C-section. I have mixed feelings about that last option, but we (hopefully!) have a while before that choice will have to be made.

I'll post a quick update with the test results as soon as I can.

No comments: