Thursday, October 6, 2005

It's a GIRL!

It's a girl!!! There's no doubt...she was not modest at all! :) We're so excited, and the grandmothers are beside themselves! I tried to build the suspense and not tell John and Janis right away, but I'm not such a good secret-keeper...as I was showing them pictures, I said "...and here she's lying on her back with her arm up..." Oops! :) Janis then announced to the entire restaurant, "IT'S A GIRL!!! WE JUST FOUND OUT IT'S A GIRL!!!" :)

Jeff is thrilled to have the little girl he was really hoping for, although he says he hopes she likes Indiana Jones and Star Wars. :) I'm SO HAPPY too, although sometime before she is old enough to know the difference, I'm going to have to dress her (just once) in some blue puppy dog overalls. :) This does complicate the name selection process a little since we still have a few girl names we are thinking about, but we don't mind! The only complaint we have heard is from a certain uncle, who shall remain nameless. I believe his words were "Oh, crap, it's a girl!" :) I understand, because I remember that when my first brother was born (I was six years old), I threatened to throw him in the trash can because he was a boy. :) He will love his little niece when she is born!

Everything looked GREAT on the ultrasound. She weighs around 9oz (the 69th percentile), and she's about 6-8 inches long. Her heart rate was 146. She was quite active the whole time. The tech had just finished telling me that she was in a breech position when she immediately did a complete flip to face the right way. :) She was hanging out on my left side as usual. (She is always there, and she hates it when I lay on my left side at night!)

Although my blood sugar is normal, my body doesn't seem to be tolerating the normal fluctuations when I eat, so I have to have a glucose tolerance test done Monday, and soon I will visit a diabetic center and start a diabetic diet where I eat six meals a day to hopefully keep my blood sugar more constant and help me not feel so sick when I'm hungry and right after I eat.

Assuming that we can get our insurance to cover it, I will also probably have a couple of high-resolution ultrasounds (one now and one later on) since the baby has an uncle who has hydrocephalus. It's VERY unlikely that the baby could develop it, especially since this ultrasound and my bloodwork were totally normal, but if the insurance will pay for it, we sure won't turn down any chance to see more pictures of our baby girl! :)

No comments: